February 12, 2018 Edition
James W. Sire, longtime editorial director at InterVarsity Press (IVP), prolific author, and groundbreaking apologist, passed away on Tuesday evening, February 6, 2018, at the age of eighty-four. Sire was a renaissance man of publishing. Not only did he author over twenty books, but his thirty-year career at IVP also included contracting and developing works by Francis Schaeffer, Os Guinness, Calvin Miller, Rebecca Manley Pippert, J. I. Packer, John White, J. P. Moreland, and others.Read More...
LifeWay has recently announced several changes to their retail store approach. Eric Geiger, LifeWay’s Chief Business Officer, explains: “Because of our commitment to our stores we are transforming how we work internally. We are doing this so we can better serve the Church in Her mission of making disciples and better help believers who come into our stores navigate their faith journeys. There are two approaches that capture the changes we have made and are making:Read More...
Harvest House Publishers is pleased to announce it has moved its main operations to a new facility in northeast Eugene. Located in the Chambers Media Center on Chad Drive, Harvest House is delighted to maintain its presence in the same community it has been residing in for the last 37 years.Read More...
Today, Thomas Nelson announced Denise George as its new vice president of marketing for the W Publishing Group. George will report to W Publishing vice president and publisher, Daisy Blackwell Hutton, and will work closely with Hutton to develop both short and long-term publishing and business strategies for the imprint.Read More...
ECPA underwrites event to keep early bird registration rates low
ECPA has underwritten event costs for the upcoming Leadership Summit, held at the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC, so that registration rates can stay the same as previous years during the early bird period. The 2-day event, held May 1-2, will feature Montse Alvarado (The Becket Fund), Mart Green (Hobby Lobby, Every Tribe Every Nation), Bobby Gruenewald (YouVersion), professor Alan Jacobs (How to Think), Kristen McLean (NPD Book), pastor Bryan Loritts (Kainos Movement), Michele Sanchez (ECC), U.S. Senate Chaplain Barry Black, and more.
Early bird registration is now open. Save $200 off each registration by registering before March 15. Additional discounts are available to ECPA members and multi-attendees from the same company.
Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals (Baker Books) by Michael Hyatt has landed on multiple Bestsellers lists since its release in January:
• #3 on Publishers Weekly Hardcover Nonfiction list for the week of January 7
• #1 in Hardcover Business and #4 in Hardcover Nonfiction on the Wall Street Journal lists for the week of January 7
• #35 on the USA Today list for the week of January 7
• #20 on Amazon’s Most Sold list for the week of January 7
Bible Gateway interviews J.D. Greear, author of "Not God Enough"
How big is your view of God? Do you see him as merely an extension of yourself or as the very source of all that is? How does the Bible describe God? What does it mean in modern times to fear the Lord? Bible Gateway interviewed J.D. Greear (@jdgreear) about his book, Not God Enough: Why Your Small God Leads to Big Problems (Zondervan, 2018).
Bible Gateway interviews John Dickson, author of "A Doubter’s Guide to Jesus"
Apart from the Bible, what are the earliest historical sources that speak of Jesus? How is he portrayed? And why should skeptics take a second look at this central of all historical figures? Bible Gateway interviewed John Dickson (@johnpauldickson) about his book, A Doubter’s Guide to Jesus: An Introduction to the Man from Nazareth for Believers and Skeptics (Zondervan, 2018).
In his debut book, "The IF in Life: How to Get Off Life’s Sidelines and Become Your Best Self," former NFL running back and Dancing with the Stars Season 24 champion, Rashad Jennings, shares his inspiring story, imparts practical advice, and encourages readers to follow their dreams.Read More...
“Same Kind of Different As Me” debuts on digital February 6, 2018 and on Blu-ray™ & DVD on February 20
SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME arrives on Blu-ray and DVD on February 20, 2018 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. The film arrives on Digital February 6, 2018. Based on The New York Times best-selling book, and recipient of the Dove Foundation seal of approval for ages 12+, SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME follows successful art dealer Ron Hall (Greg Kinnear, Heaven Is For Real) and his wife Debbie (Renée Zellweger, Bridget Jones’s Diary), who seemingly have the perfect life. But when their faith and family are tested, an unlikely bond with a homeless drifter (Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond) leads them on a remarkable journey that forges an everlasting friendship.Read More...
To farewell our Bicentenary year, Bible Society Australia is welcoming newborns with a baby Bible – absolutely free! Yes, we’re gifting 1000 children born in Australia between 1st January 2017 and 7th March 2018 a free Read and Share Toddler Bible. Parents, grandparents, great-grandparents or carers can apply for the Bible now at www.biblesociety.org.au/bubs/Read More...
Media Associates International (MAI) is pleased to announce the release of its new title, Profit & Purpose: A global publisher’s guide for financial sustainability by Ramon Rocha III, director of publisher development. This book provides key principles and practical strategies to equip Christian publishers in hard places of the world.Read More...
When Jesus was asked about the main point of faith, his answer was seemingly simple: love God earnestly and love others the way you want to be loved. In his debut book, "Experiments in Honesty: Meditations on Love, Fear, and the Honest to God Naked Truth" (Worthy Publishing), Steve Daugherty dives deep into this command and what it truly means for those who follow Jesus.Read More...
New Hope® Publishers announces the release of "Unhitching from the Crazy Train: Finding Rest in a World You Can’t Control" by Julie Sparkman. (New Hope/February 5, 2018/ISBN: 978-1-62591-536-8/$14.99). We all have a picture of how life should go.Read More...
- Max Lucado, Beth Moore, and Hundreds of Evangelicals Call for Immigration Reform … Again
- Indiana Christian Store Chain is Growing
- Leading retailers want buy-local plan to start
- New conference for authors of color
- ‘Purpose over Politics’ at National Prayer Breakfast
- 100th Anniversary of Madeleine L'Engle's Birth Finds Her Legacy Thriving
- Audio Publishers Association announces 2018 Audie Award® finalists in 26 categories
- Amazon’s Audiobook Strategy Could Become the New Normal in Publishing
- Audible shuts out publishers in play to draw listeners
- Download the NEW Best Practices for Keyword Metadata from BISG
- Penguin Young Readers Announces Imprint for Diverse Books
- HC Earnings Rise 7% in Q2 on 1% Sales Gain
- AAP Approves New Mission Statement
- AAP Sales: September Inches Upward
- Scribd’s Quest To Be “The Netflix Of Reading” Is Finally Paying Off
- Can Instagram Make Poems Sell Again?
- Viewpoints From the Children’s Books Salon: Trends, Concerns, and Publishing Pride
- IPA president Michiel Kolman urges the International Publishers Congress to embrace its most forward-leaning trends
- Barnes & Noble Appoints Timothy Mantel as Chief Merchandising Officer
- Valentine’s Day sales expected to be up